How Much Is a House?
Consider what might happen if you asked an architect, “How much is a house, and how long does it take to build one?”
You would probably expect the answer to be: “It depends on the house.” And then the architect is going to have a lot of questions for you.
- Is it a birdhouse? A replica dollhouse? A tiny house you can haul out to the woods? A modest rancher in a suburban neighborhood? Or a mansion high on a bluff on the Pacific coast?
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms does it need to have? Will it have a gourmet kitchen? A pool? Does it need to be wheelchair-accessible?
- Do you have a lot to build it on? Do you have the permits you need? Are there trees that will need to be cleared, or hills to level, or swamps to drain? Are there existing structures that need to be preserved or demolished?
You can imagine that the list of questions could go on, and on.
You might be surprised that a lot of people don’t think that there is such a wide range of possibilities when it comes to eLearning. But just like in building a house, there are a lot of variables in eLearning (and one of them is actually how many variables there are!).
So, just like an architect, a reliable eLearning vendor is going to ask you a lot of questions to suss out exactly what kind of eLearning you are hoping to build.
Budget and Timeline Factors
Plum has organized the factors that affect the budget and timeline for an eLearning project into four rough categories:
Analysis and research
- How much polished content is already available
- The format of the content
- Who will write any required content (mostly Plum, or mostly you)
- The amount and complexity of source material available
- Custom illustrations, animations, graphics, or photos
- Licensing fees for stock photos or news articles
- Audio, such as narration, music, etc.
- Who will create or source any of the above
- The number and types of interactions or activities
- Branching scenarios, or custom paths for different groups of learners
- Software simulations
- Whether we have one point of contact with our client or many
- Balance of real-time collaboration and independent work
- Availability, location, and number of SMEs and stakeholders
- Timely feedback from anyone who must review or approve deliverables
A Plum Promise
As you can see, it is impossible to provide a quote for eLearning without learning more about your requirements. But we can provide a Plum Promise:
As custodian of your budget, Plum will make sure that you’re on track for a successful, in-budget, and on-time delivery. We’ll meet regularly to discuss our progress, and alert you to any obstacles or issues that might be blocking the way forward. And we will never exceed our quote without prior approval from you.